Sunday, February 21, 2010

Gouber Market, Pondicherry

We stumbled into a fish market in Pondicherry, tucked behind shops on Mahatma Ghandi Street.  There were probably 50 more women chopping up fish on blocks in the room.  A minute after I took the picture a parade of gods came through--drummers and horns and singing.  The women rushed to touch their feet and threw fish into their bags.  We went on to the next room and found that the market was an entire city blockful of a maze of vegetables, silks, tailors.  I'm sure the gods and their drummers paraded through the entire market and got their groceries for the week.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Well, that sounds like a neat way to make a living.

HARRY said...

YES!!! incredible...keep 'em coming.

Karen Stauffer said...

This whole blog thing is amazing to me - so glad I can join in the trip.
"Aunt" Karen

Thomas said...

Found a good Wiki about the amazing Madurai temple: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meenakshi_Amman_temple